Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I co-own a house with my husband. Does he need to write in a will that the house goes to me if he passes on?

Isn't it implied in the house title/ownership/mortgage papers?|||If its jointly owned with right of survivorship, it will go to you on his passing.|||i wouldn't think so, if your name is on the house, then its yours to but i would go talk to a lawyer to make completely sure. the govt loves to find ways of screwing people of whats rightfully theirs. so it wouldn't hurt anything to double check. god forbid something happen to your husband you would know how to handle everything.|||no you dont. but a will is always a good thing to have. it bypasses other legal matters that are delayed without a will.|||When my Aunt and Uncle made out their wills they did the following. My uncle made out his will that everything would go to my Aunt in the event that he died before her. If he didn't pass on before her and she died then everything would be left to me. She did the reverse. She made out her will and left everything to him When she passed away and if they were both gone then everything would pass to me their only living relative.|||Nope you'll get it, as long as your not a millionaire with a couple of kids that are greedy. They always find a loop hole.|||Implied means SQUAT in probate court. If, for example, he divorces you right before he dies, and remarries, then you and his wife will co-own the house.





Property rights are different in different states - but it's foolish to leave out half the house from your will.|||In some states, without a will the persons part goes to the kids. When my dad died, 1/2 of everything went to us. We were under age and the court appointement us a guardian. It worked out because he just let mom need what she needed to do, but I can see where it could get in a mess. Also, I have seen it where some kids have fixed it where mom has no house.





I heard that all of this has changed, but why take a chance. If you are going to all of the trouble to make a will. Fix it how you want things to be. Then no one can argue about it, or they can, but at least it is in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment