Thursday, November 24, 2011

How can my husband & I be added to my parents house deed and mortgage?

My parents are having a hard time keeping up with their house payments. In an attempt to save the house, they have asked my husband %26amp; I if we want to move in and be co-owners. How do we go about this?|||ask them to add you.|||They have to refinance with you two included on the new loan and do a quit claim deed at closing.|||They can quick deed it over to you but as for the loan, you need to contact the holder of the loan and see if they will add you and your husband. Good luck!!!|||You can be added to the deed as co-owner's by registering at your local court house, but I believe to be added to the mortgage you would need to refinance the loan. Also if you move into the home make sure you are added to the homeowners insurance as "additional insured", that way in the event of loss you would have claim to the funds and your personal property would be covered.|||You should get the help of a title company. Try the same one your parents used when they got their property.|||They can simply add your name to title by having a Quit-Claim Deed drawn up putting title in all four of your names. I wouldn't add my name to their mortgage, as if you can't make the payments they would foreclose against all of you, and that will affect your credit. See a lawyer.|||You would have to get a new deed and if they have a loan then you would also have to be put on the loan. Which means fees. Cheapest way to go would be to have your parents sign over power of attorney to you.|||The problem w/ being added on the title is that you lose any step-up cost basis benefits.....down the road.....





it would be better if you became their "tenants". With a lease and everything|||Being on title doesn't put you on the mortgage.





You can help them out by helping them pay for it and you don't need to be on title or the mortgage in order to do that.





Personally? If my parents needed help, there is no way I would ask to be on title or the mortgage before I would help them, NOR would I do it if they offered.





They took care of you, now it's your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment