Thursday, November 24, 2011

How do I change my name/add husband on house title?

The title to my house has my 1st married name. I'm divorced and remarried. I would like to get the right name and add my husband to the title. His name is on the mortgage because we refinanced 7 years ago, but I think it annoys him that his name is not on the title. Do I need a lawyer or can I do this myself?|||Just print out a Quit Claim Deed, fill it out, then go find a Notary Public (usually your bank has one, or an auto dealership), and make sure you bring identification. You will sign in front of the Notary, and bring the form over to the County Clerk %26amp; Recorder and have it recorded.





To fill out, you'll be quit claiming FROM yourself (as shown on current title) TO yourself (correct name) a.k.a yourself (old name) and your husband.





That's all you need to do. If there are any questions, it never hurts to see an attorney or a title company for some assistance. If you want, call your favorite Realtor and ask him or her to help you or put you in touch with a title examiner.





Best of luck!|||Go to the county clerks office and file a claim to change title. It usually carries a fee of $15 to $50 dollars and is usually a matter of filling out a form and filing your new mortgage papers along with the marriage certificate. When you refinanced you could have requested the mortgage company to do the same thing because technicially they hold the title till you payoff the mortgage.|||Yes, an attorney will do it for about $50...and you really need that security to know that it's done correctly.





If I were you, to avoid confusion when you sell or refinance your home, instead of CHANGING your name, this is what I would recommend as doing on the vesting.





Let's say your OLD vesting name is:





Jane Doe, a single woman





The NEW one should read:





Jane Doe Smith aka Jane Doe and John Smith, husband and wife





That way, if you go to refinance, etc...you won't have to show the underwriter marriage certificates and other documentation to show you are the same person.|||Get a lawyer's help. Its worth a few hundred dollars to make sure its done correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment